Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Take time to Thank a Veteran

For the first two and a half years after college, I had the opportunity to work at WLIO-TV in Lima, Ohio (now called “Your Hometown Stations”). Election time was always a great time at the TV station. You might ask why. Well, it’s pretty simple: election time means LOTS of political ads. Lots of political ads mean more money for media outlets (like WLIO). One year, election time was enough to push us over our sales goal. Why do I tell that story? Over the past few weeks, I’ve heard many frustrated people talk about how they were tired of all the political ads. One person even told me that “no one likes political ads”. However, I am living proof that some people do like political ads (for various reasons). If I’m being 100% honest, though, I’ll admit that I also grew tired of some of the negativity surrounding both major political candidates this year. Regardless of your political preference, the election is now over. And to many, that brings a sigh of relief.

To me, however, the end of election day brings about an even more important day in our country: Veteran’s Day. A day when we officially make an effort to say a well-deserved “Thank You” to the men and women who have served (or are currently serving) in our military. Each and every one of us have been positively affected by the men and women who were willing to sacrifice their time, bodies, and (in some cases) their lives so we can live freely in this truly magnificent country of ours.

I like to ask our students if they know someone who has served, or is currently serving in the US military. Most of them say yes. At that point, we like to discuss who that person is/was, when and where they might have served, as well as whether or not they were involved in any wars overseas. I then like to encourage those students to let that person know how much you appreciate their time and efforts for our country. Many are glad to do it, and even have shared stories with me about how much it meant to their uncles, aunts, grandparents, or even their parents.

I’ve had a few students over the years, though, who have responded with something along the lines of “well, my dad was in the Air Force, but he never went to war or anything like that”. When I get that response, I like to remind the students about how little that detail matters. That person still signed up to defend and protect our country. He or she spent thousands of hours and dozens of holidays away from friends and family so they could be trained and ready to leave the freedoms, safety and protection our homeland provides to go fight so that the rest of us can continue to enjoy those amazing attributes. The fact that soldiers’ entire careers in the military have spanned “peacetime” in our country simply shows how deserving our military is of our praise and appreciation.

With that in mind, I encourage you to take time and find a way to Thank a Veteran or active duty service member in your life. You don’t have to wait until Friday. There are so many different ways to do it, and all of them are great. For example, I plan on visiting both my Grandpa James Wurth and Grandpa Richard Unverferth (both of whom served in WW2) at the cemetery in Kalida tonight. I also like to visit Mr. Norman Becker in the Colverdale cemetery (my wife Erica's Grandpa) who also served in WW2. I don’t know what I’ll say (I never do before I get there), but I know I’ll say “Thanks again” (like I do every year). I would also like to say Thanks to friends and family who have served and are still with us (Thankfully): Bill and Aloe Adams, Peter and Vicki Fahlgren, Bruce Giesige, Zach Weber, Michael Boehmer (still serving in the US Air Force). I truly appreciate what you’ve given up to serve our country.

At Vantage Career Center, we have four staff members who have served our country in the US military. A sincere “Thank You” to Mr. Darrell Miller, Mr. Larry Regedanz, Mrs. Amy Grothouse, Mr. Pete Weir, and the dozens of former Vantage students who have served or are currently serving in our armed forces. Our country is a better and safer place because of your time and efforts. Our school is also a better place because you chose to come here. Thank you again.

Again, please take some time to show your own appreciation to our service men and women. No matter how you do it, it will mean a lot to that person. Our current students have done an excellent job so far of showing just how much Vantage appreciates our military.

Our Student Ambassadors are once again selling flags in honor of veterans and active duty service members. The flags go for a $1 donation, and will be placed in our “flag field”. Students and staff can also write a personalized message of thanks on our big white board (both the flag field and board are pictured...they are unfinished, as of today, but will be full by Friday). The board, flag field, and banner will all be on display in front of our building for Veterans Day. Last year, our flag field project raised $250 for the Van Wert VFW. This year’s proceeds will go directly to the Van Wert American Legion. Next year, we will pick another Veterans’ service agency from one of our communities to donate to. If you’d like to donate a flag (or two) in honor of a loved one, feel free to contact me or stop in to the Vantage High School Office.

Mr. Ray Gibson will also be putting up a “Table for one” in the commons on Veteran’s Day. This table honors fallen Veterans, and is an excellent way to raise awareness of just how many men and women have given the “ultimate sacrifice” while defending our country. Mr. Gibson plans on being available during both lunches Friday to explain it’s full meaning to the students. Many of our students already have a clear understanding of what that means, though.


For example, you’ll see a picture of the hood of a car to the left. Andrew Miller, a Vantage Junior Auto-Body student from Wayne Trace High School, created this hood. He designed, painted, and buffed this masterpiece in less than ten weeks at Vantage. While ten weeks might sound like a long time: keep in mind that Andrew knew “absolutely nothing” (in his own words) about painting, masking, priming, or auto-body design before he came to Vantage. That’s pretty amazing. Andrew credits Mr. Mike Villena for helping him learn about these concepts so quickly and accurately. He says he really enjoys his classes (especially his lab), and appreciates the military even more. He plans on joining the Marines after high school. His original hood design was the Marine Corps logo, but he thought that might be too difficult, so he went with the American flag design you see below (I think he could have handled the Marine logo, but I’m sure glad he chose this awesome design). He has even volunteered to make Vantage a “copy” of his hood. “This one’s coming home with me,” he says. Fair enough, I say.

Thank you all for your time. I know this was a long one, but I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and possibly share with a Veteran you know and love. One last big thanks to Andrew and all of the future, current and past military service members who have given so much to protect the United States of America.

                                         




No comments:

Post a Comment